Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Stream of Consciousness

I'm once again stuck staring at the screen wondering what to write about. I can't think of anything off of the top of my head. I haven't finished any books, or video games, or seen any movies lately, so I can't just cop-out and review something again.

I try looking at news for inspiration. Well, "inspiration". Really it's just another excuse to catch up on twitter, Reader, and news under the guise of trying to write. When really none of this helps me write. Instead it just tells me that South Dakota is trying to make it legal to kill doctors who perform abortions (to "prevent murder") and that there are some really cool gadgety toys that I might want but have little to no use for.

But that has left me nothing. Which really isn't surprising, because if you're not writing, then nothing will get written. Until:

BEHOLD! Stream of consciousness. It's a writing technique that's exactly like it sounds. I'm not trying to write things well. Or coherently. I'm just typing out as fast as I can letting things go.

Well, that's not entirely true. I've paused to add links to the above paragraph. I'm writing in full sentences and stopping to fix spelling mistakes. So there's some cycling to my stream of conciousness.

If we were writing this in a Wave at the same times, I could warn you to not cross the streams.

Anyways. I've done this kind of writing before when I had to crank out tons and tons of text. The end result was either a seed idea or something good I could actually focus on and write about or just a pile of dead text to add to my word count. That is, if you're keeping a word count. Which is the whole point of National Novel Writing Month, which is the primary reason for cranking out a bunch of mindless text.

I've done it a few times. Well, 2 or 3. I think I've only successfully done it once. Only once did I actually end the month on target. But that was a lot of me being like "Dear god I really don't want to write please make it stop" so then I'd write that, or something very similar, as fast as I could so that I could have my 6,000+ words for the day done and then move on.

It's kind a pity too, because I had some interesting literary devices that I never fully brought to life. Well, one literary device. I just never could figure out how to really get it to work right. Like "wooo that's great, you can do X now" but "why would you want to" is never really answered.

Fiction! That's it. Maybe when I can't think of something to write, I'll just write fiction again. It's tougher because I'd have to have a root idea or something to try and make a coherent story. That's the advantage of NaNoWriMo, I don't have to worry about having something that's even human readable at the end of it. I just have a bunch of text with a bunch of ideas all bunched up. In a bunch.

Or maybe I can just fill up my blog with mindless rambling posts, like this one.

No comments: