Monday, February 07, 2011

February Project

...might have to change. I tried making a dent in this project yesterday, but got nowhere. Well, that's not entirely true. I have a design.

I tried designing for mobile first, then the desktop. It's an interesting thought exercise. It was also forcing me to focus on what I really intended folks coming to my site to actually do. Which boiled down to a short list of things:

  • Read this blog
  • Watch, listen to, and read lyrics of my music.
  • Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.

But I didn't want to do a full port of moving all my data around. That has some benefits, I'm sure, but I really just want to build the website and not worry about data storage. Which I realize is me being somewhat lazy.

Anyway. I had the design. But the biggest problem with this approach is that the design isn't really inspiring. It's simplicity, while making it a pretty good design, means that I don't get to try my hand at using fancy CSS3 stuff, or any of the more interesting JavaScript additions under the "HTML5" banner.

It's just a simple site that I've built a hundred times before.

So after designing in my notebook, then staring at my computer and getting frustrated about why I wasn't having any fun with this, I put it away. I tried out some new stuff on my guitar. That's still fun. Hopefully I'll have another song or two up by the end of the week.

Still don't know what I'll be doing for my project this month.

No comments: