Monday, February 28, 2011

Netflix vs Amazon Prime

I don't really intend for a good chunk of my posts to be me complaining about Amazon.com's policies. It's really just coincidence that I took the time to write all about the problems with the Kindle lending model just as Amazon announced free Instant Video Streaming for Prime members.

First off, it's a good idea. I don't use Amazon's video streaming because I already have Netflix. I do have Prime. This move makes me seriously consider dropping Netflix because, on paper, it looks like I'm double-paying for video streaming. And even if I just had Prime for streaming, it would still cost less than my Netflix subscription.

Unfortunately, after giving Amazon Video Streaming a whirl, I was disappointed.

I thought the big advantage that Amazon had over Netflix was the business agreements that allow them to stream really recent hit movies. They even advertise them prominently on their front page. MegaMind, Due Date, The Social Network. I'd be willing to watch these again if I could, but Amazon wants to charge me $4 to see them.

This breaks the advertising pitch I thought I was told. I thought Amazon was opening up its streaming library to Prime members. This is a real value proposition that would consider making me ditch Netflix for good. But no, it's more like "Amazon lets you watch movies you don't want to watch for free, charges for good movies"

Like Kindle Lending, I'm betting this is all about the rights-holders. Hopefully over time they'll be able to have a more Netflix-like model where my Prime membership gives me access to Amazon's entire streaming library. That would really make this a worthwhile offering. Until then, it's just another underdeveloped feature.

No comments: