Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Node.js

I tried installing Node.js on my laptop last night. I did it on another computer a while back, so it wasn't a totally new experience. But man, it took forever. Turns out I didn't have XCode and standard tools installed. Downloading all that took about 2 hours, only to find out that my computer didn't have enough free space for the 8Gb install. Ugh.

Well, now I've got it installed. I got a Hello-World style app running. I also worked a bit with the file-IO stuff so I have a webserver that can spit out header and footer content completely separate from the page's content. Woohoo. Now I can finally build my website.

But at this point, I've spent a good total of 6 hours (last night & this morning) getting things up and running, and now I find myself not in the mood to build things. Booo. Oh well, hopefully it will pass, as I do think this is going to be a pretty slick means of building what I want.


I also took a quick look at MongoDB. I didn't do much with it, mostly played around with the tutorial. I really like how JavaScript is invading all of these different parts of the server. It makes complete sense, and I really think it's going to make developing top-quality web sites (and web services) even easier. It also reinforces the importance of good JavaScript programmers, not just folks who google for bits of javascript code to make their links blink or Java gurus who think they can code in the browser because the use GWT.

I'm sounding bitter again. I'll stop. Instead, I'll go doodle the site I want to build.

No comments: