Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fun with Friends

It's easy for me to get stuck in a rut. Not in a bad way; I like having a certain rhythm to my life. Cycles of things that I like to do repeating with a known frequency. And as time goes on, the fun things changing slightly, or maybe changing frequency.

It's like a song, really. You might like one part of the song, but if it didn't keep changing you'd begin to get seriously annoyed.

I think that's why I'm not so good with planning social things. They're really sort of one-off events that break the normal pattern of my social life. That's not to say that they're bad; whenever I do these things I usually enjoy them. I'm just more resistant to them than I really should be.

This last week was a bunch of one-offs. Monday I didn't go to Kathryn's because she was swamped with work. Thursday I didn't go to Ultimate practice so I could have dinner with some tech friends and see Ignite Seattle. Friday I had to work from 9:30pm-10:45pm, then rushed to Chop Suey to see more karaoke friends. With a 1.25-hour long exception, it was loads of fun all across the board hanging with friends that I really don't get to see much with my current schedule.

If you're reading this, and you're a friend I haven't seen in a while, leave a comment or shoot me a tweet or something. I definitely want to hang out and catch up, even if I'm usually too focused on the day-to-day rhythms to notice it.

And even if I'm awkward about it when we first meet up. Because believe me, I'll be awkward about it.

No comments: