Thursday, March 03, 2011

Techno lust

I like gadgets. I also like Apple products. Needless to say, I watched the liveblogs of Apple's iPad 2 event this week.

It's definitely not what I'd hoped it would be. I was really hoping for a Retina display. Kathryn's iPod Touch has it, and it looks amazing. And you just know that this is the kind of feature that could easily cross-pollinate across all of Apple's products, except perhaps for the iPod Shuffle. It's just a matter of time.

But alas, there wasn't one. So it brings up the question. Do I want to buy an iPad despite it lacking the real feature I wanted?


It's kind of a perfect Apple storm for me right now. My iPhone is in need of an upgrade, but I can hold out until the summer to get whatever the latest and greatest iPhone is that comes out next. It's a little crazy that in my mind I've already committed to buying a device that I really know nothing about. But, knowing Apple, whatever the next iPhone they put out is will be the hottest phone on the block.

I'm also thinking about getting a new MacBook Pro. They just released updated models last week. My current MBP isn't particularly bad, but it's 4 years old. It still works fine, but there are so many better features of the more current models. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

But that would mean, in the span of the year, I would be buying a new iPhone, a new iPad and a new MacBook Pro. I admit that I really like my tech, but this may be a bit too much.


When the first iPad came out, it looked really cool. I bought in to the hype a bit, but not too much. I thought the device was amazing, but laughed when the ads called it magical. Silly marketing, you don't know how computers work, do you? Ah, well, I mean I guess most folks don't understand how computers work. Or what part is the computer. Or what part is the browser. 

But it didn't have a camera. Silly Apple. Even your iPod Nano had a camera at the time. Why wouldn't you put one on your new, magical device?

One blogger had an idea that stuck with me. They *could* put a camera in it. But there was definitely a subset of people who wanted a camera, but couldn't wait until iPad 2 to get one. So they'd buy it twice, essentially giving twice as much money to Apple for the same product. I'd like to think Apple isn't that sinister, but they are out to make money. And it makes sense, whether intentional or not.

But at the time, nobody had heard of the Retina Display. That came out with the iPhone after the iPad came out. And you already hear a bunch of people, like me, complaining about the iPad 2's lack of a Retina Display. Saying that that is the killer feature that will make me buy it.

I think the Retina Display is this year's camera. They could have added it in. They didn't because they knew that they could add it in next year and the folks who couldn't wait would just buy it twice.


Well, that'll probably be me. I waited through v1 to see what they'd add in v2. I think I'm a fairly patient guy, but I don't want to wait another year to have an iPad. And it does mean that I might try and sell it to upgrade in a year when they do get to a Retina Display.

I might need to make my MBP last me through another year, though. Because those things ain't cheap.

No comments: