Sunday, March 06, 2011

Introducing: Statastic

Introducing: Statastic, the easiest way to gather team-wide statistics for Ultimate.
All you have to do is:
  1. Enter whoever is on the roster
  2. Start a new game. For each point, tell Statastic who's on the field.
  3. Every time the disc changes hands, tell Statastic who just caught the disc.
  4. Any time during or after the game, flip over to the Stats screen to see the most up-to-date player stats and a play-by-play point recap.
My biggest concern is step 3. I'm hoping I made entering that amount of data easy enough such that folks don't get frustrated when trying to keep Statastic up to date with the game. But with that amount of data I can do some pretty neat stats:
Since Statastic will know everything that happened in the point, I can compile some pretty sweet statistics. Currently, Statastic keeps track of points played, goals caught, assists thrown, defensive plays, and turnovers. "Total" is just the sum of the last 4 in the list. You can even sort the columns to see who's winning in each statistic.

And if there was a particularly epic point, you can just look at the point summary:

Feel free to try it out and let me know what you think. I've got plenty of ideas for new features to add, but I'm probably just going to end up using it as-is for a while to see which missing features give me the most hassle. Enjoy!

You can play with it yourself at http://chrisdownie.net/projects/statastic/

6 comments:

ajshankar said...

Love it! But what about turnovers due to dropped discs? I guess you click on the person and then give him the turnover right after. Also, no way to have to other team throw an unforced turnover -- someone on your team seemingly has to get the D.

Would also be great to note hucks and breaks.

Chris Downie said...

Yup, for dropped discs, touch the intended recorder, then hit "turnover".

When you're on defense, you can just hit the "turnover" when the other team throws an unforced turn.

I hadn't thought about noting hucks/breaks. Good suggestion!

Craig said...

I'm sure your ideas include more data about game conditions? City League vs. Tournament, time of day, temperature, wind, etc. etc.

A more general 'type of throw' category would be nice, but maybe a little too much for the data collector. I do want to know Walnut's scoober completion percentage or your lefty completion percentage. :-)

Chris Downie said...

In general, the big things I have in mind are saving more than one roster (if you're on more than 1 team) or tracking player stats over a season. I'd also like to add in little features, like undo-ing the last throw (if there was a pick or something) and being able to handle injury subs during a point.

Anonymous said...

Hey I loved this when i got to use it last year but now it's not functioning anymore. Is there a fix or something that I am missing here?
Thanks for the great work

Chris Downie said...

My bad; I moved it, but failed to update the URL.
It's now at http://chrisdownie.net/projects/statastic/