Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ching Chong (It means "I love you")

Craig: you probably shouldn't read this.

As part of my trip to SF, I did have a late night youtube-viewing session with my buddy, Beamer. It's the same situation that social networks try to make happen over large distances. But it just doesn't have the same "I'm bored and awake at 2:30am and don't want to sleep, what can I watch" vibe to it.

He showed me this recent gem about a woman who was upset that some folks would take cell phone calls in the library, disrupting her concentration. That sounds like a pretty normal complaint, but she phrased it differently:

There is so much wrong with this video. Apparently this girl has had a ton of shit heaped on her & her family for these racially insensitive comments. I won't rail on her any more than other folks already have; she knows what she said was stupid to say, she just didn't realize that ranting to a webcam in her room meant that she could be ranting to a global audience. She knows that now.

What I really like is some folks' ability to make these gorgeously creative gems out of such horrible source material.
There are also various trance remixes & auto-tuned versions of the rant. I'll let you find those on your own.

I don't really have much more commentary to add. I genuinely wish more folks had the sense of creativity and the sense of humor that these independent song writers/remixers do. Hopefully we can genuinely reduce and eventually eliminate these kinds of simplistic opinions, rather than simply shaming them to harbor their ill-targeted malice in a more private setting. But for the time being, making entertainment from their unpopular opinions seems to be a nice enough step.

No comments: