Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Book Review: Switched

Okay. My bad.

When I got about halfway through this book, I knew I had been tricked. But I kept reading, because the point of no return for me is by the end of the 2nd chapter unless the book is absolutely terrible. And it wasn't terrible. I was just upset.

But that's my fault. I was hooked by the back cover pitch:

When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right.

I was like, "Alright! A book from the point of view of a monster! I wonder what horrible things she does that are beyond her control? I wonder how she psychologically battles the drive to embrace her monster nature versus fight it and try and be a good person! This has the setup for some great action battle sequences where she no doubt confronts other monsters and fights for her life! And there should be some wonderfully deep and complex character development along the way! Oh boy!"

But that was the bait in this bait-and-switch. And the book is called "Switched". So it really is my fault; the signs are so painfully obvious in retrospect.

There was none of the action-adventure I imagined. There was but one action scene in the whole book (one and a half if you count a scene where the main character kicks somebody's knee) and the rest of it was lovey-dovey romance about the main character doting about this or that boy, or maybe about coming to terms with Troll society.

That's right, she's a Troll. Which, in this book, means she's just like a normal person except she has difficult hair.


I really wanted to like this book for political reasons. Amanda Hocking is a self-published author on Amazon who sells her books for cheap and has made fat bank doing so. All her books are available to lend. Which just goes to show: just because something is popular doesn't mean I'll like it.

What it also shows: If you want to rake in the cash, it's not a bad idea to write a forbidden romance story about vampires trolls, just like Twilight Switched.

No comments: