Monday, March 21, 2011

iPad Writing

iPad Writing

I'm a little surprised how much quicker I've got at making blog posts. Okay, to be fair, I don't know if I've actually gotten any quicker. But they do seem to come easier. They seem to flow a bit more. They also seem to be better written, but that could just be me psyching myself up. This would be all for naught if, after writing daily, my quality of writing deteriorated.

I don't know how I got so behind. I've been writing double entries almost every day this week in an effort to increase my post count. It seems that missing a couple weekends of posts puts me in quite a hole.

I've also been giving writing on my iPad a go with the last few entries. I don't think it has any impact on the quality of my writing, but it's a nice change of pace. I feel very futuristic methodically tapping glass in order to make text appear. And oddly enough, the ever-present clicking noise to simulate the auditory feedback of a key press hasn't been as annoying as it was on my iPhone. Except if you're not the one doing the typing, or so I'm told.

The biggest issues? The same ones found on any netbook. The keyboard doesn't have an apostrophe key. It's certainly better than my actual netbook keyboard, since a full set of symbols is just an extra press away, and if I can just think forward enough to not use an apostrophe then odds are the autocorrect feature will just fill it in for me. But years of typing muscle memory a hard to overcome.

I really wish I had this in college. It would have been so nice to carry something like this to class, take notes, and in all likelihood play addictive games as a distraction in the boring classes. It'd also be great if I could get ebook textbooks. I really wouldn't need to carry anything else.

But those days are past. The best I could hope for is extensively using this for a big writing goal, like Nanowrimo. Bringing this thing with me is certainly less difficult than bringing a real laptop. So I could really write from anywhere for a month. Although I'd probably still do most of my writing from home anyway. Writing in other environments tends to be too distracting (last time I tried writing on a bus, I got very little written and a giant headache to show for it)

I've got a big weekend ahead of me. I'm probably going to fall behind on posts, even with all the extra work I've been doing to keep up. Oh well. With any luck, I'll come back with a bunch more stories to write about that should help I'll the void of posts my a sense leaves behind on the internet.

:)

No comments: